Me, Myself, and I


Lately I have come across quite a few people who are afraid to be alone. I don't mean alone like without friends, family, or a significant other. I mean alone like eating lunch alone, or shoppingCheck Spelling alone, or working out alone. Now i don't know about some people, but I know that I need my 'me' time every now and then. A day purely devoted to me, myself, and I. The day usually goes along the lines of: wake up leisurely (by ten approx), showering, cooking myself a nice breakfast, putting on a nice outfit, and heading out. Then I do a couple of hours of shopping, i might buy something or I might not. Sometimes I put on my headphones and just listen to my music and walk and shop. Then I usually find a place to sit down with a nice cup of coffee and pastry (which doubles as lunch) and I enjoy catching up on a book or magazine. Then after an hour I head over to the gym and sit in the sauna for half an hour, then work out, and then maybe take a dip in the pool or hot tub, and finally shower and head home. Where i will do my nails or put a mask on my face, and by ten o clock I am in the bed with a book again. I can not even begin to explain how relaxing and soothing these days are, sometimes I think they keep me sane. It is so easy to get caught up in everyday tasks and responsibilities that you forget about yourself and your own needs. Moreover this time helps me grow as a person. In this technologically advanced era where everyone is so eager to know about everyone else's lives via facebook, twitter, cellphones, etc I believe we forget to explore ourselves, to know ourselves. 'Me' time allows me to reconnect with my thoughts. It allows me to reflect back on events that have happened recently, it allows me time to drawing meaning from everyday occurrences. The time is a time of reflection- what happened, why did it happen, and what does it mean to me? For example, how many times has something happened and it really shook you up but because you were so busy you never allowed yourself time to think about it. That is what 'me' time is for. And bear in mind "me" time can happen on a smaller scale too. Like for the most part when I am driving I won't pick up calls or answer texts and not just because it is illegal but because I use that time to recollect my thoughts from the day. 'Me' time can happen anytime, anywhere but I believe it is crucial and I hope it happens.


Spending some time with yourself allows you to discover you. Who you are, what you stand for, and what you hope to achieve. I wonder why people shy away from spending time with themselves? Is it because they wonder what people will think of them for sitting alone or shopping alone? Is because they are too busy for themselves? Or is it because they are too afraid that when left alone with their thoughts they might not like what they find? I don't know?


Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, " None of us will ever accomplish anything excellent or commanding except when he listens to this whisper which is heard by him alone" . I believe Emerson is telling us to stop and listen to ourselves. Everyday people throw commands, advice, instructions at us... perhaps we should stop for a minute and listen to ourselves... we might be surprised at what we find. Emerson himself (the great poet and writer) often went into to solitude and was a strong believer in time spent alone. Anyways I am not here to lecture or claim my way is the only way but I hope you consider spending some 'me' time of your own and I hope you are pleasantly surprised at what you find.

Comments

  1. Dude nandita, your right. My "me" time is in the morning while i'm taking a shower and getting ready. it sucks cuz it takes me a little longer to get ready lol. But at the same time, I always have "me" time. Damn nandita, you know your stuff. I should start a blog page/site thing one day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RUTGERS baby!!!!

The "Illegal"

Direction