Book Review


The Road by Cormac McCarthy is one of the best books I have read in a really long time. The book captivated me within the first couple of pages, and I was entranced until the very end. McCarthy's style and prose is simple and elegant, and resounds as undoubtedly modernist in nature. The book's structure is quite unconventional- there are no chapters and the book's formatting is not typical of most novels. Nevertheless, what struck me in The Road wasn't the unusual style the book was written in, but rather the author's haunting story. Cormac depicts a father and son's journey through an apocalyptic, end of the world, no hope left-type setting. It's been done before, but i doubt this good.

Every author writes for a reason. There is a message he/she is trying to convey, and it is up to reader to decipher that meaning or at least interpret it and relate it back to their lives. When i finished reading The Road there was no clarity, instead i was left with endless questions. Cormac's words haunted me past the confines of the novel. What would i do if i were placed in that scenario? Why had the world come to that? Cormac's digs past normal definitions of good, bad, love, hate, and explores survival in the most rawest form. The book made me question the importance of 'choices', 'fate', and the relationship between the two. In some ways we can liken the book to P.D. James' The Children of men and William Golding's Lord of the Flies, but honestly the novel is quite unique and moreover is a rare gem amongst all the crap published present day.
From what i understand there is a movie to be released soon based upon the book. I urge you to read the book before you see the movie!!!! I wish i could write a better review in full detail as I wish to but I do not want to spoil the novel for anyone! All i can say is... be sure to read this book. It is a must read!! five thumbs up! and please please read it before watching the movie.
oh and if you would like to discuss the novel with me... email me!!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RUTGERS baby!!!!

The "Illegal"

Direction